Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pumpkin Bread


Each year I wait for the weather to change, and as soon as I see signs of cooler weather, I have a loaf (or 2 or 3) of pumpkin bread in the oven.  I love everything pumpkin.  There is something about pumpkin bread that feels homey, almost cozy, and who doesn't want to feel cozy on a cool fall day?  The taste of pumpkin pairs perfectly with warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and it certainly makes it feel like fall, even if it isn’t.


Here is my favorite pumpkin bread recipe, and trust me, I have tried quite a few.  This recipe is super easy, and it is sweet.  It surely is not one of my healthier versions, and that is partly why it is so dang good.  It also makes 3 loaves, but I'm not complaining.  The bread freezes well or makes an excellent gift.  Or you can just eat all three loaves yourself.  No judgment here.  One time my friend, June, and I were convinced that we had to have pumpkin bread right that minute or else we wouldn't survive.  You know that feeling when you have to make cookies TONIGHT, and then after you go through all of the trouble of making them, you don't really want them as much?  You eat them anyways though, of course.  Or maybe that's just me.... Well, anyways, that's exactly what happened with our pumpkin bread craving.  We cut the recipe to make just one loaf, but I would say it wasn't as good.  It is harder to get the proportions right, but it is possible.  I vote for making the full recipe, and after you make it, I'm betting you will, too!



Oops.  I couldn't resist....


PUMPKIN BREAD
Yields: 3 loaves

You will need:
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsps. baking soda
2 tsps. salt
2 tsps. ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tsps. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. all spice
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
2 tsps. vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin

How to make it:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir slowly until smooth.  Be careful not to over-mix, as it will make your bread dense and chewy.  Divide batter between 3 greased and floured loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Yields: 3 loaves

1 comment:

  1. looks tasty! I'm so excited about your new blog venture...

    ReplyDelete