Sunday, November 10, 2013

Ginger Molasses Cookies


It's ironic that I have posted several savory recipes and that this is my first dessert recipe on my new blog.  I would say I am a better baker than a cook, and my weakness is definitely sweets.  If I find myself alone with a batch of cookie dough, I'm in trouble.  I try to limit my baking so as not to have too many sweets in the house, but now that I have a blog, I might just have to start baking more.  It's all in the name of research, of course.

These cookies pack a punch.  The ginger is prominent but balances perfectly with the smooth, sweet molasses flavor.  If you have a hard time believing that it is the middle of November like I do, bake these cookies and you'll start feeling like the holidays are right around the corner.











Ginger Molasses Cookies

You will need:
3/4 cup butter, cold
3/4 cup + 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger

How to make it:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, all spice, ground ginger and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamed.  Add in the egg, molasses and vanilla and beat until well combined.  Next, slowly add in the dry ingredients in three batches.  Lastly, stir in the crystallized ginger.

Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes and up to one day.

Pour 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon into a small bowl.  Roll the dough into small balls (I use a medium-sized ice cream scoop for even portions).  Next, roll each dough ball into the cinnamon sugar, coating every side thoroughly.  Place coated dough balls on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for two minutes on the cookie sheet.  Lastly, transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment